“I hate doing this; let me do something else instead which is far less important but more enjoyable and / or easier.”
Sound familiar? Procrastination is putting off to another time what you should be doing right now. It’s amazing what we will do to avoid doing what we should be doing. It is indeed the biggest success killer!
Procrastination is merely a series of bad time habits and a lack of discipline. It takes time and determination to change habitual procrastination.
So what causes procrastination? It can be for many different reasons such as: too hard; too complex; not sure where to begin; fear of failure; lack of interest; perfectionism; lack of enjoyment; poor work environment and indecision.
So what should you do about it?
• Break big tasks into small manageable ones
• Reward yourself for completing tasks you don’t enjoy. If you don’t do it, don’t reward yourself!
• Create a deadline: Otherwise tasks will usually go on far longer than they need to. Tell others of your deadline.
• Create a distraction free environment
• Complete tasks (no matter how small) and cross them off your to do list. Each little win gives you momentum!
• Do the toughest, most unenjoyable tasks first.
Procrastination is the thief of time. It takes away your self esteem, your momentum and performance suffers as a result. Many of the above tips on beating procrastination you have probably heard before. It is one thing to know what to do; and quite another to do what you know. Follow through on some of the suggestions above and you will see improvements right away both in performance and self confidence. Good luck!